Microsoft Access provides users with one of the simplest and most flexible relational database management system (RDBMS) solutions on the market today. For a small group of users, Access should be your database of choice, especially if Microsoft Office is your preferred office software suite.
- Readily AvailableMicrosoft Access comes packaged with the Microsoft Office Professional suite of business products and may already be part of your standard operating environment. If not, it is easily obtained as a stand-alone product and does not require any other program to run or use. Alternatively, if you have no need to design your own ad-hoc queries, your customized solution can be packaged in a “RunTime” environment, thus negating the need to have Microsoft Access installed on your computer.
- Easy to UseWith a user-friendly interface, similar to the other programs in the Microsoft Office Suite, MS Access is easy to pick up and use. The new “ribbon” interface, starting with version 2007 and continuing through version 2016, is even more tailored to the casual user. Finding the actions you need is simple with a good design utilizing the tabbed menu interface. Moving between data records is intuitive with arrow-labeled buttons. With proper Access training, the advanced user can go beyond the designed application to create ad-hoc queries and reports.
- Cost EffectiveWith MS Access, complex database applications can be easily developed and implemented in half the time needed larger database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server. This rapid development speed translates into lower project cost. Microsoft Access is also significantly cheaper to maintain.
- Capable of Handling Multiple UsersMicrosoft Access is designed to operate on local networks with numerous concurrent users, allowing for data manipulation by a number of users at the same time (unlike Microsoft Word and Excel). We recommend a limit of 15 to 20 simultaneous users.
- An Industry StandardMicrosoft Access is the most widely-used desktop database system in the world. This system is therefore likely to be available and supported for years to come by Microsoft, the premier software company in the industry.
- Easy to Integrate with Other SoftwareMicrosoft Access integrates seamlessly with the other members of the Microsoft Office Suite of products (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.). Additionally, other software manufacturers are more likely to provide interfaces to MS Access than any other desktop database system.
- Scalable / Easy to UpgradeIn the future, your data can be migrated to one of the larger database management systems, such as SQL Server or Oracle, retaining your user-friendly MS Access front-end. This is an option for the future if performance suffers from an ever increasing number of users and/or data records.